23 Man Protected Roster Announced
9/24/10 1:06 PM
BOSTON, MA -- Friday, September 24, 2010 -- The Boston Cannons of Major League Lacrosse (MLL) announced today the 23 players from their current roster that have been protected for the 2011 MLL Season, according to Cannons Vice President and General Manager, Mark Kastrud.
Each off season, teams may protect 23 players on their roster for the next season. Players not protected, go into the MLL Player Pool and will be available for selection by any team in the Supplemental Draft held at the end of the year. The Cannons currently hold the 4th pick in this year’s Supplemental Draft.
"We drafted some quality players last year and we wanted to keep some of them as we look to build towards the 2011 season," said Cannons Head Coach Bill Daye. "Some of those young players we were not able to protect but we hope to reacquire in the Supplemental Draft."
“There are always some tough decisions to be made," said Kastrud. "Each year there are some players left unprotected that you would like to have on your squad. You make decisions based on the direction the team is going, how you want to build your team for next season, and even on where players are living or working next year."
Highlighting the 23-man protected list are the last 2 MLL Bud Light MVP’s Paul Rabil and Matt Poskay. Local products Max Quinzani (Duxbury, MA native), Mike Stone (Wellesley, MA native) and Matt Smalley (Cumberland, RI native) have also been protected by the Cannons.
The Supplemental Draft has provided some quality players over the years and last season was no exception. The Cannons drafted Pat Heim with their 1st Round Pick. The former #1 overall pick in the 2007 MLL Collegiate Draft scored 14 goals for the Cannons in 2010, good for 5th on the team. Smalley and Stone were late round steals for the Cannons, selected in the eighth and ninth rounds respectively. Smalley played in 10 games for the Cannons, becoming a mainstay on the wings for face-offs. Smalley was second on the Cannons with 41 ground balls. Stone joined one of the best midfield squads in the league and scored 5 goals in 9 games.
"There are some players not on our 23-man list that we would like to have on our team going into 2011 and the Supplemental Draft may allow us to bring someone back." said Kastrud. "We have the fourth pick and will as always be looking for the best talent available."
A notable name not on the 23-man list is veteran Ryan McClay. While a formal annoucnement has not been made by McClay, it appears he has decided to retire from MLL. McClay played the last 2 season for the Cannons, an anchor on the defense that gave up the second fewest goals in MLL in 2010.
"We are obviously going to miss Ryan from our team," said Coach Daye. "Ryan was a leader on and off the field, but he has told us he is not able to make the committment to play next season. We wish the best for Ryan and his family," Daye added.
Cannons 23 Player Protected List (alphabetical)
2011 Boston Cannons Season Tickets are now on sale for only $126 each! The 2011 package will include all 6 Cannons regular season home games, plus the 2011 MLL All-Star Game. For more information or to order season tickets, contact the Cannons at 617-746-9933 or CLICK HERE